Real Madrid manager José Mourinho ruled out signing Barcelona winger Lamine Yamal, while praising the 19-year-old Spain international and expressing confidence in the quality already available to him at the Spanish giants.
Mourinho’s comments came as Real Madrid prepare for their opening La Liga fixture against Espanyol at the RCDE Stadium on Saturday, August 22.
Also read: Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud
Asked about Yamal, Mourinho acknowledged the Barcelona forward’s considerable ability but gave a firm response when the possibility of bringing him to Madrid was raised.
“I won’t sign him. We already have the best players,” Mourinho said, according to comments cited by Fabrizio Romano.
The Portuguese manager’s stance reflects his belief that Real Madrid already possess sufficient attacking quality to compete at the highest level.
Yamal, who has emerged as one of European football’s most influential young players, remains a central figure at Barcelona.
The teenager’s rapid rise has attracted widespread praise, but Mourinho’s latest comments suggest admiration for a rival player does not necessarily translate into transfer interest.
The position is particularly notable given the intense rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona.
With Barcelona seeking another strong La Liga campaign and Madrid beginning a new era under Mourinho, Yamal is expected to remain one of the players capable of influencing the title race.
Mourinho returned to Real Madrid this summer for a second spell as head coach after previously managing the club between 2010 and 2013.
His appointment came after a difficult previous campaign for Madrid and has brought renewed attention to the club’s transfer strategy and ambitions.
Rather than pursuing Yamal, Mourinho has placed considerable faith in his existing squad and the club’s summer recruitment.
One of the most significant additions is Yan Diomande, the 19-year-old Ivory Coast winger signed from RB Leipzig for a reported €125 million, with the deal potentially rising to €140 million.
The transfer made Diomande the most expensive signing in Real Madrid’s history.
Mourinho also spoke positively about Diomande, revealing that although he did not specifically request the transfer, he wanted the versatile attacker at the club.
“No, I did not ask, but I wanted him. He’s a great player who can play on both sides,” Mourinho said.
Diomande’s arrival gives Mourinho another young attacking option alongside established stars such as Vinícius Júnior and Kylian Mbappé.
The teenager has already featured in pre-season preparations and is expected to have an important role as Mourinho shapes his new-look side.
Real Madrid have also strengthened elsewhere during the summer, with Bernardo Silva, Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté and Denzel Dumfries among the arrivals as Mourinho attempts to rebuild a competitive squad.
The manager’s confidence in his squad also follows Madrid’s unsuccessful pursuit of Rodri.
The Spain midfielder ultimately chose Barcelona after Manchester City agreed a €75 million transfer, leaving Mourinho to work with the players already at his disposal.
Despite that setback, Mourinho has maintained that Real Madrid’s squad is capable of challenging strongly this season.
The immediate test comes against Espanyol on Saturday, when Mourinho’s second Madrid tenure officially enters competitive action.
The opening fixture will offer an early indication of how quickly the experienced manager can blend Madrid’s established stars with an ambitious group of new signings.
Also read: Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud
For now, Mourinho’s message is clear: Yamal may be a remarkable talent, but the Madrid manager sees no reason to look across the divide when he believes his own squad already possesses the quality needed for a powerful challenge.


























