• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News JUST IN

Labour suspends strike, orders FCT workers back to duty

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
February 4, 2026
in JUST IN
0 0
0
strike
thenacre-campaign

NLC and TUC suspend FCT strike, order workers back to duty after Wike assures no victimisation and unions agree to withdraw court cases

Organised labour has agreed to suspend further industrial action in the Federal Capital Territory and withdraw all pending court cases after assurances by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, that no worker would be victimised over the recent strike.

Also read: Police urge NLC, TUC to reschedule Abuja protest

The decision followed a marathon conciliatory meeting between leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress, the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria and the minister, convened at the instance of the Chairman of the Senate Committee on the FCT, Senator Mohammed Bomoi.

In a circular dated February 3, 2026, addressed to all affiliates of the TUC and NLC, the unions directed members working in the FCT to resume work immediately.

The circular was jointly signed on behalf of the Joint Union Action Committee and workers by the Secretary General of the TUC, Nuhu Toro, and the Acting General Secretary of the NLC, Benson Upah.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

According to the circular, the meeting began at about 11:45pm and ended at 3:51am after what the unions described as “extensive and frank deliberations.”

“All affiliates are hereby informed that a conciliatory meeting held between the Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, at the instance of the Chairman, Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Mohammed Bomoi,” the circular stated.

The unions said all grievances tabled by workers were exhaustively discussed.

“All complaints presented by JUAC members were taken one after the other and fully addressed,” the circular noted.

On the central issue arising from the strike action, organised labour said Wike gave firm assurances that no reprisals would follow.

“Arising from the strike action, no worker shall be victimised in any manner,” the circular stated.

The minister also assured labour leaders of continued engagement and mutual respect going forward.

As part of the resolutions reached, the unions agreed to discontinue all legal actions connected to the dispute.

“All outstanding cases at the National Industrial Court shall be withdrawn immediately,” the circular added.

Following the agreements, labour leaders directed an immediate return to work across all FCT institutions.

adron lemon friday

“Consequently, all JUAC members and all affiliates of the TUC and NLC working in the Ministry of the FCT are hereby directed to resume work immediately,” it read.

The leadership of the unions urged strict compliance, stressing the need to preserve industrial peace and harmony.

The directive followed the suspension of a planned protest by the NLC and TUC earlier scheduled to hold in Abuja.

A visit to the Federal Capital Territory Administration Secretariat at about 8:30am showed workers returning to their duty posts in compliance with the directive.

The protest had been planned in solidarity with FCTA workers who began an indefinite strike on January 19 over unpaid salaries, promotion arrears and poor working conditions.

The resolution also came amid legal and security concerns surrounding the planned protest.

On Monday, the National Industrial Court restrained the NLC and TUC from embarking on any protest or industrial action within the FCT, following an ex parte application by Wike and the FCTA. The matter was adjourned to February 10 for further hearing.

Also read: NLC backs indefinite strike over unpaid wages, pensions in FCT

Similarly, the FCT Police Command had advised the unions to suspend the protest, citing intelligence reports that the action could be infiltrated by non-state actors and pose a threat to public peace.

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Related Posts

Nnamdi Kanu prisoner of conscience
JUST IN

IPOB calls for Nnamdi Kanu’s release as prisoner of conscience

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
June 8, 2025
makinde
JUST IN

Makinde ends LAUTECH nurses’ strike with ₦35m intervention

by David Okere
October 3, 2025
Adeleke
JUST IN

Adeleke deposes convicted Osun monarch Oloyede jailed for fraud in US

by Victory Emmanuel
May 11, 2026
Anambra
JUST IN

Lorry crash sparks fire at Anambra church, causes panic

by Quadri Olaitan
March 19, 2026
Lagos
JUST IN

Tragedy in Lagos: Four gospel musicians discovered dead in studio

by Quadri Olaitan
February 8, 2026

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Fadahunsi

    Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.