• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

Oreoluwa Ojelabi by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
August 19, 2026
in Crime
0 0
0
Ghana
thenacre-campaign

Maazi Okechuku Augustine pleads not guilty as questions persist over the disputed Labone operation that left two suspects dead

Nigerian national Maazi Okechuku Augustine was on Wednesday remanded in police custody in Ghana after pleading not guilty to eight charges linked to an alleged Ghana bank robbery plot in Accra’s Labone area.

Also read: Nigerian troops rescue 14 kidnapped people in Katsina

Augustine appeared before the Accra Circuit Court following his arrest on August 13, when Ghanaian police said they had foiled a planned attack on three banks in the area.

The court denied Augustine bail and ordered that he remain in police custody until September 2, 2026, when he is expected to appear again. (Sahara Reporters)

The case has attracted attention because the police account of the operation has been challenged by GCB Bank, while representatives of the Nigerian community have also raised questions about aspects of the incident.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

According to the Ghana Police Service, officers received intelligence at about 10:45am on August 13 that a robbery gang was preparing to attack GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank in Labone.

Police said officers deployed to the area found suspected members of the gang in vehicles near the banks.

One vehicle allegedly sped away after its occupants noticed the police, leading to a chase during which Augustine was arrested while another occupant escaped.

A second vehicle reportedly attempted to flee while its occupants opened fire, prompting a shootout in which two suspects were killed.

Police said officers recovered a Toyota Highlander, a Hyundai Tucson and a pistol from the scene.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The service described the operation as an intelligence-led intervention that prevented the planned attacks.

However, GCB Bank subsequently disputed any suggestion that its Labone branch had been robbed or attacked.

“GCB Bank wishes to clarify that no robbery or attempted robbery took place at our Labone Branch or on the Bank’s premises,” the bank said.

GCB added that the branch was never breached and that no customer, staff member, funds or property was affected. The bank said its Labone operations remained secure and normal.

The conflicting accounts have left unanswered questions about the precise nature of the operation and whether the banks were the immediate targets of the suspects.

The Nigerian High Commission in Ghana has also intervened following Augustine’s arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects.

Destiny Austine Omon, media coordinator of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana, questioned aspects of the police account, including the location of the alleged operation, the weapon reportedly recovered and the vehicles linked to the suspects.

“The environment where the robbery took place is one of the safest environments in Ghana,” Omon said, according to reports.

He also questioned whether the reported recovery of a single pistol was consistent with an alleged operation of the scale described by police.

“It does not add up for armed robbers wanting to do that scale of attack to be arrested with only a pistol,” he said.

The Nigerian community in Ghana has also sought clarification from the Ghana Police Service over Augustine’s arrest and the deaths of the other suspects.

adron lemon friday

Further questions have been raised over one of the recovered vehicles.

Reports said the Toyota Highlander bearing registration number GS-1434-18 had previously been listed as impounded by Ghanaian authorities in 2019, prompting scrutiny of its registration history.

Despite the competing claims, Ghanaian police have maintained that the operation disrupted a planned attack involving three banks in Labone.

The service said Augustine remained in custody to assist investigations after his arrest.

Augustine’s not-guilty plea means the allegations remain unproven, and the court proceedings will now determine the evidence against him.

Also read: Xenophobia: 83 Nigerians to return from South Africa amid fears

With his next appearance scheduled for September 2, the case is likely to attract further scrutiny as investigators work to establish what happened during the dramatic operation and reconcile the police account with GCB Bank’s denial.

oreoluwa ojelabi brand writer
Oreoluwa Ojelabi

Oreoluwa is an accountant and a brand writer with a flair for journalism.

Related Posts

NDLEA
Crime

NDLEA bust Lagos uncovers N6.7bn cartel cache

by Quadri Olaitan
November 27, 2025
crim jpeg
Crime

Nigeria ranked sixth in World for Organised Crime

by Quadri Olaitan
September 28, 2023
computer village freelanews
Crime

‘True life story’ How Nigerian police abet phone theft, other nefarious activities at Ikeja Computer Village

by Quadri Olaitan
July 27, 2022
WhatsApp Image 2021 01 30 at 4.17.09 PM 1
Crime

‘Enough is enough’ 71-yr-old wife murders 78-yr-old husband over infidelity insinuation (Photo)

by Freelanews
March 31, 2021
Sheikh Gumi 1
Crime

‘Ethnic war’ Most bandits killings accidental, Sheik Gumi says

by Freelanews
February 23, 2021

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Fadahunsi

    Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
Nafiu

Nafiu issues strong social media warning to corps members

August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.