• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

FBI explains why Tinubu’s drug investigation records remain withheld

The bureau has asked a US judge to privately review its reasons for withholding parts of historical investigative records linked to allegations involving Nigeria's president.

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
August 21, 2026
in Breaking News
0 0
0
FBI

FBI explains why Tinubu’s drug investigation records remain withheld

thenacre-campaign

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and US District Judge Beryl Howell are at the centre of a fresh development in a long-running Freedom of Information Act case, after the FBI asked a US federal court on August 20 to allow it to privately explain why some Tinubu records remain withheld.

The FBI told the US District Court for the District of Columbia that it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding certain portions of the investigative material.

Also read: Peter Obi launches 2027 campaign with ‘Nigeria must work’ pledge

The bureau is therefore seeking permission to submit an ex parte, in camera declaration. Such a filing would be made privately to Judge Howell and kept under seal rather than placed on the public record.

According to the FBI, releasing some of the withheld information could reveal law-enforcement techniques and procedures or reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of an individual.

“The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis” for applying certain exemptions, the agency said in its application.

The bureau specifically referred to FOIA exemptions 7(E) and 7(F), which cover information concerning law-enforcement techniques and information whose disclosure could endanger someone’s life or physical safety.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The FBI said that, if Judge Howell grants the request, it expects to submit the confidential declaration before August 28.

The dispute stems from FOIA requests filed by Aaron Greenspan, founder of PlainSite, seeking US government records connected with historical investigations involving Tinubu and other individuals.

One of Greenspan’s FBI requests sought the “entire FBI file” on Tinubu. Another sought FBI Form 302 interview records involving Tinubu from 1992 and 1993, connected to an FBI case identified in the court proceedings.

Greenspan filed multiple FOIA requests between 2022 and 2023 with several US federal agencies.

The requests concerned investigations linked to an alleged international drug-trafficking and money-laundering operation dating back to the early 1990s.

The agencies initially relied in part on what is known as a “Glomar response”, under which an agency refuses to confirm or deny whether responsive records exist.

Greenspan challenged those responses in federal court.

The case took a major turn in April 2025, when Judge Howell ruled that the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration could no longer rely on their Glomar responses concerning records relating to Tinubu.

The court found that government disclosures had already publicly acknowledged the FBI and DEA’s involvement in an investigation concerning Tinubu, undermining the agencies’ attempt to maintain that position through a refusal to confirm or deny the existence of records.

The ruling did not establish that Tinubu committed drug trafficking or any other criminal offence.

Instead, it concerned whether the agencies had properly applied FOIA rules and whether responsive, non-exempt records should be processed for disclosure.

That distinction remains important as the case moves forward.

Although Judge Howell ordered the FBI and DEA to process responsive records, the ruling did not require every document to be released without redactions.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

US FOIA law allows agencies to withhold particular categories of information where statutory exemptions apply.

The FBI’s latest application focuses on that narrower issue. The bureau maintains that it needs to explain privately why certain information falls within exemptions that protect investigative methods and individual safety.

The request comes as the case faces another important procedural deadline.

Earlier in August, the US Department of Justice sought an additional 10 days to respond to a court order concerning the records.

Judge Howell granted only four additional days, setting August 21 as the deadline. Tinubu subsequently joined the government’s request for additional time, but the judge did not grant the full extension.

Tinubu has become an intervenor in the FOIA litigation and has previously argued that records identifying him may be protected by privacy provisions under US law.

adron lemon friday

A September 2025 court filing shows that Tinubu asked the court to confirm that the agencies could withhold or redact records identifying him under FOIA’s privacy exemption and the Privacy Act.

His participation in the litigation, however, does not by itself establish that he is attempting to prevent the release of all records.

The proceedings remain a civil dispute over access to government documents.

The case has also acquired a political dimension in Nigeria.

The latest FBI application was publicised by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based lobbying firm that has been working with former Vice-President and African Democratic Congress presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar.

The renewed attention comes as Nigeria approaches the 2027 presidential election, with Tinubu seeking another term in office.

For supporters of greater disclosure, the focus is on obtaining records that may shed light on the historical investigation.

For the FBI, the immediate question is whether certain information can legally be disclosed without exposing sensitive investigative techniques or putting individuals at risk.

The FBI’s latest request does not mean the court has accepted its reasons for withholding the material.

Judge Howell must first decide whether to permit the confidential declaration.

If permission is granted, the judge will be able to review the bureau’s fuller explanation privately before determining whether the claimed exemptions are justified.

The case therefore remains unresolved.

What is established is that US authorities have acknowledged aspects of the historical investigation, while the courts are still determining which underlying records can lawfully be made public.

The latest filing adds another layer to a case that has already lasted more than three years, but it does not, on its own, prove the allegations surrounding Tinubu.

Also read: PETAN warns of skilled oil talent exodus

Any conclusion about criminal wrongdoing would require evidence beyond the existence of an investigation or the withholding of government records.

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Also read

  • Dangote offers LASU first-class graduates jobs, pledges ₦600m girls’ hostel
  • BREAKING: FG declares Tuesday holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

Related Posts

Dangote
Breaking News

Dangote fuel price cut triggers brutal petrol price war

by David Okere
December 22, 2025
Lagos
Breaking News

Tragic Ikeja crash: Cyclist fatally struck by truck in Lagos

by Mariam Balogun
February 9, 2026
Senator Yayi
Breaking News

BREAKING NEWS: Senator Yayi picks APC Ogun governorship nomination forms

by David Okere
April 28, 2026
Ondo hotel
Breaking News

Tragedy at Ondo hotel: Two students die in swimming pool during freshers party

by David Okere
February 5, 2026
APC
Breaking News

BREAKING: APC announces direct primaries in bold electoral move

by Victory Emmanuel
May 4, 2026

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

INEC

Osun election gives INEC fresh confidence ahead Of 2027

August 21, 2026
FCSC

FCSC warns Nigerians over fake recruitment links

August 21, 2026
FBI

FBI explains why Tinubu’s drug investigation records remain withheld

August 21, 2026
Iraola

Iraola warns Liverpool of urgent winger shortage

August 21, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
INEC

Osun election gives INEC fresh confidence ahead Of 2027

August 21, 2026
FCSC

FCSC warns Nigerians over fake recruitment links

August 21, 2026
FBI

FBI explains why Tinubu’s drug investigation records remain withheld

August 21, 2026
Iraola

Iraola warns Liverpool of urgent winger shortage

August 21, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Elumelu

    VIDEO: Elumelu reacts after lady casually calls him ‘Tony’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun Poll: Protesters storm INEC headquarters over election result

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Edo governor’s aide says Davido is banned from performing in Edo (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Osun APC writes Tinubu, blame Oyetola of one-man rule

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

INEC

Osun election gives INEC fresh confidence ahead Of 2027

August 21, 2026
FCSC

FCSC warns Nigerians over fake recruitment links

August 21, 2026
FBI

FBI explains why Tinubu’s drug investigation records remain withheld

August 21, 2026
Iraola

Iraola warns Liverpool of urgent winger shortage

August 21, 2026
Atiku

Atiku hits back at Tinubu in fresh fuel subsidy clash

August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.