The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission withdrew cybercrime charges against final-year Bayero University, Kano, student Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad at the Federal High Court in Abuja, following appeals for leniency and an apology from Shehu’s father.
The decision came less than 24 hours after the two defendants were separately arraigned before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik over allegations that their social media publications were intended to damage the reputation of the anti-graft agency.
Also read: Two killed as trucks collide and burn in Anambra
The EFCC drops charges decision was announced by the commission’s spokesman, Dele Oyewale, who said Executive Chairman Ola Olukoyede directed that the cases against the two young Nigerians be withdrawn.
Oyewale said the commission still considered the alleged publications to be offences under Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.
“While the Commission considered the arraignment of the two defendants for cyber stalking to be contrary to Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes Act,” Oyewale said, Olukoyede was moved by “the passionate pleas and apologies of Shehu’s father and appeals of well-meaning Nigerians for leniency”.
Shehu, a final-year student of Bayero University, Kano, had been arraigned on an amended one-count charge linked to an Instagram publication made on 21 June 2026.
The EFCC alleged that Shehu published a claim that its officials assaulted Ahmed Uthman on the instruction of a zonal director who allegedly collected ₦20 million from Usman Iya Abbas.
The commission said the publication was intended to tarnish its reputation.
Shehu pleaded not guilty when the charge was read to her.
Abdulhamad faced a separate one-count charge over an alleged fabricated image published on his X account.
The EFCC alleged that the image was designed to resemble an official EFCC arrest placard and depicted Sadeeq Kabeer as a suspect allegedly arrested by the commission for selling laptops to students at affordable prices.
Abdulhamad also pleaded not guilty to the allegation.
The withdrawals marked a dramatic turn in proceedings that had initially resulted in both defendants being remanded following their arraignment.
Reports on Thursday said Justice Abdulmalik ordered Shehu to be remanded at Suleja Correctional Centre in Niger State, while Abdulhamad was sent to Kuje Correctional Centre.
The cases had been adjourned until 31 August for hearing of their bail applications and commencement of trial.
The development also followed growing public concern over Shehu’s detention.
Human rights lawyer Abba Hikima called on the Attorney-General of the Federation to intervene, alleging that the student had spent about 35 days in detention before the charge was filed.
That allegation was part of wider criticism surrounding the circumstances of her detention.
Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore had also publicly criticised the EFCC over Shehu’s detention and arraignment, according to reports published after the court proceedings.
The EFCC, however, maintained that the alleged conduct fell within the scope of the Cybercrimes Act and defended its position on the publications.
The commission’s decision to withdraw the charges therefore does not amount to a judicial finding that the allegations were false or that the defendants were guilty.
The cases were withdrawn by the prosecution following the intervention of the commission’s chairman.
In announcing the decision, Oyewale said Olukoyede had directed that the charges against both defendants be dropped but warned that the commission would continue to protect its reputation.
The EFCC also assured Nigerians that it would continue to operate within its statutory mandate and in the national interest.
The case has drawn attention to the difficult balance between protecting public institutions from malicious online content and ensuring that citizens, particularly young people, are able to exercise their rights within the law.
Section 24 of Nigeria’s Cybercrimes Act has been used in a number of cases involving alleged harmful or reputation-damaging online communications.
Recent proceedings have again placed the provision under public scrutiny, particularly where social media publications involving public officials or institutions are concerned.
For Shehu and Abdulhamad, Friday’s decision brings an unexpected and potentially significant reprieve after the pair had faced the prospect of defending the allegations in court.
The withdrawal also closes, at least for now, a case that moved rapidly from social media publications to criminal charges, imprisonment orders and then a decision by the EFCC leadership to exercise discretion following appeals for leniency.
The commission’s warning indicates that while the charges have been withdrawn, EFCC officials intend to maintain a firm position against what they regard as deliberate attacks on the agency’s reputation.
Also read: Two killed as trucks collide and burn in Anambra
For the two defendants, however, the immediate outcome is clear: the charges filed against them have been withdrawn following the intervention of the EFCC chairman and appeals from their supporters and well-wishers.
Mariam Balogun is a contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.


























