Osimhen AFCON exit rumour dismissed as NFF confirms the striker remains with the Super Eagles camp in Morocco
A top official of the Nigerian Football Federation has dismissed reports suggesting that Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen is leaving the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations camp in Morocco.
Also read: Dami Foreign backs down with apology after Tiwa Savage backlash
The Osimhen AFCON exit rumour followed an on-field confrontation between the Galatasaray forward and teammate Ademola Lookman during Nigeria’s round of 16 victory over Mozambique.
The Super Eagles defeated Mozambique 4–0 in the encounter.
The clarification was disclosed on Tuesday by FIFA and CAF-accredited journalist Adepoju Samuel, who said he spoke directly with a senior team official.
According to Samuel, the official confirmed that the issue had been resolved internally.
“A top team official just confirmed the latest situation over yesterday’s incident,” Samuel wrote on his X handle.
“The official said everything has been sorted since last night, and we are all good.”
He added that there was no discussion about Osimhen leaving the tournament.
“The issue has been resolved as a family,” the official reportedly said.
The rumour gained traction after Osimhen was captured on camera angrily confronting Lookman in the 63rd minute of the match.
The incident occurred after Lookman missed a chance while Osimhen was unmarked inside the box.
Before the outburst, Lookman had already created two clear chances for Osimhen, including one direct assist and another involving Akor Adams.
In the footage, Osimhen was seen pulling away from captain Wilfred Ndidi, pointing angrily at Lookman, and shouting at his teammate.
He was later heard saying in pidgin English, “No try am again.”
Osimhen subsequently asked to be substituted and was booed by sections of the crowd as Moses Simon replaced him.
The incident triggered widespread criticism on social media, with fans questioning Osimhen’s conduct despite Nigeria’s dominant performance.
However, signs of reconciliation emerged on Tuesday when Lookman posted photos of himself with Osimhen and Bruno Onyemaechi after the match.
The Atalanta winger shared the images on Instagram with the caption, “TOGETHER ALWAYS.”
Super Eagles head coach Eric Chelle and captain Wilfred Ndidi have also dismissed suggestions of lingering tension.
Also read: FCT court staff found dead in suspected One-Chance attack
They urged Nigerians to continue supporting the team as preparations intensify for the quarter-final clash against Algeria.





















